Permaculture Community Thailand
Our Beliefs, Drive Our Choices, which Create Our Goals, this Drives Our Actions and Leads to Our
Welcome to Our Intentional Permaculture Community
We welcome you to come and join in the Rak Tamachat Permaculture Community and see what conscious thought and hard work can bring to the world.
We strive to make the world we desire a reality through our daily Permaculture and Natural Building practices.
Our Permaculture Communities Beliefs
The Rak Tamachat Permaculture Community, Asia believes that everyone regardless of where they are from, their background, social standing, economic circumstances, education, etc have basic rights as humans.
We understand that sometimes these people do not know or understand that they have basic rights as the conditions they are in or were brought up under does not allow for them to believe they can have these.
We do understand that everyone has these rights and further that it is our responsibility to speak up for or defend them.
We feel that at the most basic level people have the right to prosper. They have the right to raise their family in peace and harmony. They have the right to live a healthy life free of war, famine, chemicals, slavery.
The unequal distribution of resources is the real source of most people’s problems at the bottom of the economic pyramid. The inability for the poor to have access to land and resources such as water and seeds to plant and grow their own food forces them to become economic slaves to the system designed to create wants and desires that make them rats in a maze, that they do not know how to escape from.
We feel that we have the obligation as an Asia Permaculture Community who have had the education, upbringing to understand the problems and the solutions to show and teach the less fortunate how to break out of the cycle enslaving them to the corporate systems.
- We believe that everyone should have the right to economic freedom to provide a basic life for themselves and their family;
- We believe that everyone has the right to food security;
- We believe that everyone should be allowed to have a place to grow food for themselves and their family;
- We believe that everyone has the right to be happy and that the environment to provide that happiness is a right;
- We believe that everyone has the right to raise their family in social harmony and peace without undue economic stress;
- We believe that everyone should be afforded the right to earn a living to provide for themselves and their family;
- We believe that every family should have a home without the burden of a mortgage;
- We believe that education is a right.
Our Permaculture Communities Choices
The Rak Tamachat Permaculture Community, Asia we know that the choices we make will drive our outcomes. We know that some of the things being told to us by the main stream are not right.
We can feel that their needs to be some changes, but don’t see the answers to these concerns being promoted by our governments, or large businesses. While we fully support the green movement in business to promote renewable resources and recycling we also realize that the goals of making the most money severely hampers the effectiveness of these operations and slows the development of these much-needed industries and that Permaculture has all the tools necessary to make the changes the world needs.
We know that we have the choice to wait and hope the fats cats can fix the problems they made or we can choose to limit our consumption of their products or in some cases stop using them altogether.
We make choices every day at the Rak Tamachat Permaculture Community by limiting our consumption and thus reducing the waste and destruction of nonrenewable resources. Not allowing the use of chemicals in our gardens and thus working to break the chain of chemical agriculture with Permaculture Practices.
We choose to live our lives closer to nature as Permaculturist so that the local ASEAN Community can see that not all western people are what is shown in the movies. We limit our lives to share with others; we choose a different path to show that the consumerism promoted through the media is not the only way.
- We choose to grow our own food without chemicals;
- We choose to use natural building in our shelters;
- We choose to build our shelter without mortgages;
- We choose to live together in a Permaculture Community and foster social harmony with each other and nature;
- We choose to corporate with nature instead of fighting against it;
- We choose to share our knowledge and abundance with others;
- We limit the consumption of meats to only what we grow ourselves on our farm in a humane manner assuring our animal’s full lives and humane deaths;
- We chose to limit the consumption of scares resources such as fuels by sharing our transport and appliances by living in a communal way;
- We choose to eat locally when buying vegetables or other foodstuffs from outside Rak Tamachat Permaculture Community;
- We choose to cook and share our meals together to reduce the waste from cooking;
- We choose to follow the Ethics and Principles of Permaculture and foster Permaculture Community.
Our Permaculture Communities Goals
Rak Tamachat Goals Articulation Statement Summary:
The Permaculture farm will provide a dynamic, abundant life for the local family, resident community, guests, interns and students while providing a safe haven for learning and expanding one’s horizons.
- The farm will be a thriving Permaculture and Natural Building Education Center full of activity, providing inspiration to locals and international visitors, while allowing the educators to share and expand their knowledge base.
- The farm will serve as a model of profitable Permaculture Design in action and Regenerative Agriculture, showcasing the power of Integrated Sustainable Farming Systems utilizing Holistic Management Techniques with diligent Animal Husbandry practices throughout Permaculture Thailand and Permaculture Asia and the Permaculture World.
- The activities on the Permaculture farm will require less economic and fossil fuel inputs over time, as an outcome of the Integrated Sustainable Farming Systems following Permaculture Design Principles and ethics, utilizing Regenerative Agriculture and Holistic Management techniques with diligent Animal Husbandry Practices.
Goal 1: The Permaculture farm will provide a dynamic, abundant life for the local family, the resident community, guests, interns, and students while providing a safe haven for learning and expanding one’s horizons.
- The environment of the Permaculture farm provides an ideal place to raise children, with a wide variety of stimulation and activities which help them have a strong physical and mental development and to stay healthy.
- The Permaculture farm promotes respect for each generation and is home to meaningful activities for everyone, such that all participate in creating the abundance of the Permaculture farm.
- There is an atmosphere of encouragement and engagement in the social and productive activities of the Permaculture farm for all.
- Production from the Permaculture farm and Permaculture gardens provide the residents with a wide variety of delicious and healthy food free of any chemical inputs.
- The Permaculture food forests are perennially producing and have an ever-changing variety of fruit, nuts, fiber, fuel, and timber while also providing habitat for many wild animals as well as our holistically raised chickens, turkeys, pigs and cows.
- The Permaculture gardens have an overabundance of fresh food coming from them year round, providing a stable source of healthy food allowing for reduced stress from food security.
- All of our meat, fish needs are supplied on-site through our holistically managed humane animal husbandry systems, while producing the fertilizers from their waste to feed our Permaculture gardens and thus ourselves.
- The aquaculture systems provide an abundance of fresh fish and an emergency supply of edible tubers, for the nourishment of the Permaculture community, while also providing habitat and food sources for our integrated animal systems.
- The Permaculture farm produces enough timber and bamboo for all the natural building needs of the Permaculture community.
- The surplus produced on the farm earns us enough income to pay for the day-to-day needs of the residents and the upkeep of the Permaculture farm in a subsistence manner.
Goal 2: The Permaculture farm will be a thriving Permaculture and Natural Building Education Center full of activity, providing inspiration to locals on Asian Permaculture and international visitors, while allowing the educators to share and expand their Permaculture knowledge base.
- The Permaculture farm hosts Permaculture Design Courses, to share our knowledge and systems with as many people as possible, running on a break even cost structure based on providing a living wage for the resident teachers and offsetting the lost agricultural revenue to the farm for the area utilized by the center, throughout the year.
- The Permaculture farm is a thriving Permaculture community made up of the local Thai Farm family, farm staff, resident educators, guests, interns, and students.
- The Permaculture farm allows for the many residents to participate in the rewards and abundance of their work.
- The Permaculture farm is part of a larger worldwide movement, both here in Permaculture Thailand, Permaculture Asia and beyond to promote sustainability through Permaculture principles while demonstrating that a Permaculture community of like minded people can live in harmony with the land and each other and prove that they can do so in an economic efficient manner.
- The Permaculture farm’s systems continue everyday to evolve and become more efficient and interconnected with the local Thai Permaculture Community, Aisa Permaculture, and world communities.
- The systems on the farm provide the residents with endless opportunities for creativity and invention, they joyfully and playfully utilize these opportunities to find new ways to increase efficiency, beauty and sustainability on the Permaculture farm.
- The Permaculture farm utilizes a Permaculture Master Plan which is a living document, easily updated and revised, enabling the farm and its residents to adjust the plans to ever-changing natural conditions.
- The Permaculture farm has a steady stream of passionate people, who bring ideas of their own and who take with them valuable experience and inspiration when they leave.
- The residents of the Permaculture farm interact with the local community in a way that respectfully invites them to learn Permaculture farming techniques and ideas about successful permanent agricultural practices.
- The Permaculture farm gives the residents the opportunity to feel thankful and to share our good fortune with the local community.
- The Permaculture farm provides low-cost Permaculture and Natural Building courses to the local Thai community, Asia Permaculture and international Permaculture students from around the world.
- The Permaculture farm and its actions help the people that live in our village and Thailand to view us with respect and camaraderie.
- The residents of the farm work together to create social systems that promote individual growth and group strength.
Goal 3: The Permaculture farm will serve as a model of profitable Permaculture Design in action and Regenerative Agriculture showcasing the power of Integrated Sustainable Farming Systems utilizing Holistic Management techniques with diligent Animal Husbandry Practices.
- The Permaculture farm is able to reach break even after five years on the invested capital for the Regenerative Agriculture and Permaculture techniques utilized in its transition from a commercial corn and rice farm to an Integrated Sustainable Farm.
- The Permaculture farms systems provide the Asia Permaculture Community and the world with another real example of Integrated Permaculture and Regenerative Agriculture systems utilizing Holistic Management and Animal Husbandry as being economically feasible.
- Through the implementation of the Integrated Permaculture Master Plan, the farm has reduced costs, improved quality, and connected with new markets.
- The Integrated Permaculture Master Plan helps guide the Permaculture farm, allowing it to be well-managed and focused on the future. In the short term, medium term, and long term, the Integrated Permaculture systems implemented on the Permaculture farm are practical and easily replicated by the local communities.
- The Permaculture farm connects with the Local Asia Permaculture and Worldwide Permaculture Community and shares what we have done and what we have learned through our website and movies.
- The Permaculture farm experiments with different agricultural techniques utilizing proper scientific methods and construct and builds them with a thorough understanding of the engineering behind the Permaculture Projects.
- The Permaculture farm is a demonstration center of Permaculture systems and Natural Building practices for the local and international community, where people can come to see and learn how these Permaculture Systems work and how they can implement them on their Permaculture farms, “Action Learning“.
Goal 4: The farm will be a thriving Natural Living Education Center full of activity, providing inspiration to locals and international visitors, while allowing the educators to share and expand their knowledge base.
- The farm will shift from energy intensive activities, like conventional tillage agriculture, to more progressive modes of passive production, like perennial crops and aquaculture.
- The farm will experiment with and implement different alternative energy systems. The systems include solar, wind, bio-gas and farm made bio-fuels to work to the goal of sending power back to the grid to offset our energy cost.
- The residents constantly refine and re-evaluate the farm’s techniques to become even more efficient and effective.
- By abiding with the Principles of Permaculture and Integrated Farming, the Permaculture farm’s systems have become much more synergistic. This synergy helps to ensure the health and abundance of the Permaculture farm and reduce waste thus producing a larger overall return on each Permaculture system.
- Every element of the Permaculture farm is benefiting the system in multiple ways, the residents work to make the interactions as efficient as possible.
- The Permaculture farm strives to mimic nature in her diversity, stability, fertility and productivity.
- The “waste” from one element fits seamlessly into the needs of another. Throughout the Permaculture farm, we are reducing waste, and improving the health of the overall Permaculture System.
Our Permaculture Communities Actions
The Rak Tamachat Permaculture Community knows that Our Actions are the result of our Beliefs, Choices, and Goals.
We know that to create the world and Permaculture Lifestyle we want we will have to do something to make our dream a reality.
Our Actions are the Manifestation of Our Choices. We choose our Permaculture Lifestyle and work to create our own destiny.
The Integrated Sustainable Farming activities on the farm are the actions that we use to create our environment.
We love to work to build new Permaculture Systems and maintain the ones we have, learn how they interact and how they can be improved. Permaculture Research as an official Asia Permaculture Research Institute is our Driving Passion.
We never stop learning how the Permaculture Synergies play upon each other to always find a higher state of being. Like the synergies, we as a Permaculture Community, through our actions together, bring our combined lives to a higher state of being than we could achieve alone.
You can explore below, how we make our Permaculture Actions Our Reality:
Our Permaculture Community
The Rak Tamachat Asia Permaculture Community is made up of a group of international people who have come together to work to change their lives and the lives of others by choosing to follow the Permaculture Pathway – a different path than the one laid out by the consumer economic driven global economy.
We wish to live our lives in a more natural way with Permaculture, closer to nature and respecting life. We feel the Thai and Asia Cultures are close to the way we see the optimal Permaculture Lifestyle revolving around raising our own food in peace.
We strive every day to build the Tropical Permaculture Environment we need to keep our lives at a basic level by providing for our food, shelter, medicine, and clothing. Once our base has been established, we can then work to help others to learn the Permaculture Techniques, Ideas, and Practices, we use to make our desired Permaculture Lifestyle possible.
We know through our combined hard work we can share in the bounty that Nature was designed to provide for its people.
“We take care of Nature and rest assured that we will thus, in turn, be taken care of by Nature.” – Beau Wickboldt
You can learn more about the residents of the Rak Tamachat Permaculture below and what made them choose to find Rak Tamachat, what makes them stay and how they are working to make Permaculture Asia and the world a better place with Permaculture.
The Permaculture farm is a wonderful place to see the transition from a commercial corn and rice farm to a Permaculture Farm and Community practicing Integrated Farming with Holistic Animal Systems. This allows for the perfect backdrop to host Permaculture and Natural Building Educational Courses on Natural Living and Sustainability.
The resident Permaculture Educators make the Permaculture Education Institute come to life and guide the development of the Permaculture Community and the transition of the Permaculture Systems on the farm.
We could not do the amazing work we are without them.
Permaculture Certified Educators:
Our Permaculture Educators are professionals in their fields and fully certified to run a Permaculture Design Course in an engaging and informative manner.
Lin and Beau Wickboldt & Family
Beau is the founder of Rak Tamachat Permaculture Education and Research Institute and brings his professional engineering carrier experiences to bare, to teach Permaculture Design Principles based on established engineering practices.
Beau engages his students with practical real-world experience to show that the Principles and Ethics of Permaculture can be used to create a Sustainable Farming System and create an environment to facilitate Natural Living for a family.
Beau designed the Rak Tamachat Permaculture Community and Permaculture Farm based on these principles and uses it to visually demonstrate what is taught in the Permaculture Designers Manual.
Beau believes that the best way to learn a topic is to get your hands dirty doing it. Rak Tamachat Permaculture Education Institute uses hands-on teaching aids to get our students to learn more quickly and in a more natural way based on this belief.
Lin is Beau’s better half and what drives him relentlessly to make our Permaculture Farm a success, as Charmie Berry once said, she could not wait to see the woman that could make Beau go “Zomp Zomp” around her finger. Well, Mrs. Charmie was right, when I met Lin I new my traveling days were done and she was the one woman I wanted to be with and work for my whole life! She has given me everything a man needs, a friend, a lover, a wife, a mother to my sons, my everything. Permaculture is easy when you have a Partner.
Lin is more than just Beau’s Partner she is also his teacher about all things concerning Tropical Permaculture in Thailand. She is Rak Tamachat’s real success story and her Permaculture Garden and the wonderful food she cooks from it is all the testament she needs to prove her perm skills!
The Permaculture World only needs a few more Lins 🙂
The farm is owned by the Nakaew Family, it is comprised of Maa and Paw, their children and spouses and grandchildren. As the local custom in Thailand is to have a matriarchal family, Ma is the big boss. Ma and Paw have a daughter Phawarin (Lin) who is married to Beau. They have three boys and all live together in the main house. The oldest boys are twins and are named Drie and Vier, they were born in Nov 2011. The youngest boy is Joey and was born in Aug 2013. There is always lots of activity in the Nakaew household with three young boys running around, lots of fun to see kids growing up naturally on a farm.
Some of our long-term Permaculture Volunteers really got involved and learned to a lot about the Thai culture and themselves, Ben Summerlin decided to work alongside the Thai Family and help them, he ate all his meals with them, he learned a wide variety of practical skills, learned to speak fluent Thai over a period of one year and matured into a very outstanding young man and Permaculturist. He went to one extreme and was rewarded, we hope to allow the freedom for everyone to come and find their own niche.