What To Bring
If you plan to stay at Rak Tamachat,
here is a list of things you should consider bringing:
- Toiletries: shampoo, soap and shower products (We also make our own bar and liquid soaps which you can use)
- Insect repellent
- Medical supplies (Rak Tamachat has a basic medical kit, but you may consider bringing a specific brand or type.)
- Socks to keep mosquitoes from biting at night
- Bathing suit
- Towels & Sarong
- Lightweight long-sleeved shirts, and pants (for keeping away mosquitoes/protecting you from the sun)
- Headlamps and flashlights
- Notebooks and pens
- T-shirts and shorts (that you don’t mind getting dirty while working at the farm)
- Raincoat with hood/poncho (*Note- The Rainy Season in our region of Thailand lasts from August-October, but it does begin occasionally raining around May) look on the Internet for more up to date weather forecasts, as it varies every year.
- Your preferred Dietary items and/or supplements
- Garden/Work gloves – Rak Tamachat has some which are used, if you prefer your own personal pair, you can bring it.
- Sunscreen (Sunscreen is sold in Sikhiu – it is very expensive to buy in Thailand, so we highly suggest you bring your own)
- Power outlet adapter/converter for your electronics
- Long sleeve sweaters, long pants, and socks if you come during our “cold season”, from November to February (nights and early mornings can get pretty chilly)
Useful things, but not absolutely necessary:
- Personal tinctures/essential oils
- Yoga Mat (We have some communal ones available for your use)
- Your own electronics—only if you are interested in bringing it. We have free Wifi, but we do not have available smartphones, tablets, or laptops for your use.
- A laptop – helps to do your research and Master Plan presentation (not mandatory at all: many students still do theirs with colored pencils, pens, and paper)
- Running sneakers (if you’d like to go on runs, we have plenty of beautiful paths to run/exercise here)
- Water shoes/tevas/keens etc. if you prefer wearing some when swimming in our pond, or use while visiting some local attractions like the nearby waterfall, etc.
- Books (donations always welcome!)
- A Good music playlist (for playing your tunes on our speakers in the Main Sala community space)
- Musical instruments (although we have a few here!)
- Travel Mug and/or Water Bottle
- Favorite gardening tools, we would always love to have more if you decided to leave it 🙂
- Sketchbook & art supplies
Many people ask us if we would like them to bring us anything…Here is an ongoing WISH LIST, if you feel inclined and oh so generous
- Spices and dried herbs to add to our growing kitchen collection!
- If you like Olive Oil please bring it, it is very expensive as imported!!!!
- Seeds! (plants that will grow well in the tropics)
- Any Food fermentation starters, “mothers,” supplies, or equipment: homemade winemaking, pickling, beer making, miso, kimchi, kombucha, etc.
- Books – about Permaculture/sustainable agriculture, solar power systems, good fictions, alternative medicine, plant identification, etc.
- Musical instruments of any kind