At Rak Tamachat Permaculture Thailand, a Permaculture Asia Project, our Intentional Permaculture Community’s Mission is to spread the Message of Sustainability through Education with our Permaculture Institute – holding both Onsite and Online Permaculture Design Courses (PDC’s) and Natural Building Courses (NBC’s) – by Promoting Sustainable Lifestyles and Intentional Communities Adhering to Holistic Living Principles.
The moto of our Permaculture Education Institute is:
Natura Ipsa Magistra
“Nature Is Our Teacher”
We owe our beginnings to the special group of Permaculturists pictured below.
They “Paid It Forward” to make the Rak Tamachat Permaculture Research Institute and Intentional Community Ecovillage a reality, and a member of Permaculture Thailand.
No praise is enough to thank them. The world only needs more Permaculturists!
Our Permaculture Courses
Our Permaculture Mission
Our Permaculture Lifestyle
Our Permaculture Home
Royal Permaculture Projects
Permaculture and Natural Building
On-Site Permaculture & Natural Building Courses
Watch the below video to experience our morning Permaculture in Practice sessions:
If you have any questions, concerns, or need more information about our Permaculture Institute or Sustainability Courses, don’t hesitate to contact us: we are always happy to help!
Explore our Permaculture Courses, Natural Building & Sustainability Courses in the Tabs below:
Combined Permaculture Design & Natural Building Courses
The Rak Tamachat Education Team has worked hard to design our Combined Discipline Course to bring together all the Key Disciplines of Permaculture under one Amazing Course. You will get both the World-Class Rak Tamachat Permaculture Design Course and the Natural Building Course in this amazing combined course, saving you both time and money! Rak Tamachat believes the standard 72 hrs PDC is a good introduction to Permaculture but, in order to make Permaculture come alive and utilize the tools it teaches, we have combined our Natural Building Courses with our Permaculture Design Courses, with the added bonus Training on Mushrooms, Permaponics and Making of Homemade products (Tea Making, Tofu Making, Soap Making, Cheese Making). We are ready to teach you the skills you need to create the amazing and dynamic Permaculture farm of your dreams, the wealth of knowledge that Rak Tamachat gives you will allow you to start on a new path with Permaculture, and influence the rest of your LIFE! Go to our Course Page for more details
Permaculture Design Course (PDC) Certification
Rak Tamachat Permaculture Education & Research Institute in beautiful Thailand, Asia, is proud to host Permaculture Design Certificate Courses and Natural Building Courses year round. We are happy to share our knowledge, skills, and lifestyle with others. Our PDC (Permaculture Designers Certificate) course is a full 72-hour course as prescribed by Bill Mollison, the founder of Permaculture. The course curriculum will be based upon the Permaculture Designers Manual. Our Permaculture Community understands that it is not easy to let go of the brainwashing of our consumer economy and live a frugal lifestyle. We work hard to make an environment conducive to allowing the acceptance of our learning through the easy lifestyles we enjoy. The course will be held at the Rak Tamachat Farm Thailand, where we have the luxury of staying and learning in custom Permaculture designed education facilities. Our course is split into hands-on action learning in the mornings, and classroom instruction in the afternoons. We feel that exclusively learning from lectures is not the only way to educate oneself and that learning from getting your hands in the dirt brings the teachings to a more embraceable level. At the end of the day, we are teaching by doing! We take the fear away from the Permaculture Lifestyle by showing all the tools and techniques you will need to succeed in your future lifestyle are easy and fun to use! We all need to start doing to make the world a better place. At Rak Tamachat Permaculture Research Institute Thailand, Sustainable Education is our main focus. Showing you the tools and techniques you will need to make your world a better place is what we do. Upon the completion of the course, you will be presented with a fully certified “Permaculture Design Certificate”, which entitles you the rights to practice Permaculture, use the name “Permaculture” and teach the course to others if you desire. You could also use the new skills you will learn to go on to open your own Permaculture business, providing Permaculture Master Plans to others. The world opens to possibilities with Permaculture! Go to our Course Page for more details
Natural Building Courses (NBC) Certification
Here at Rak Tamachat Permaculture Education & Research Institute Thailand, Asia, we have been focused for many years on studying the simplest practices and elements of Natural Building and crafting better ways to take the earth beneath our feet and turn it into beautiful, lasting and inexpensive buildings. We feel that, for Natural Building to move forward and become the only accepted standard of building, we will have to look to and practice innovative natural building techniques. We currently practice and teach three of the most promising techniques for making the most real-world impact to changing our destructive non-natural building practices. We look at the total energy audit of a building to make our decisions about what is the right material to use in which situation. We understand and teach our students how they can decide what is best for their environment, and we always promote the absolute non-practice of taking out a mortgage to make our habitats. At Rak Tamachat, we teach in our Natural Building Course all the steps you will need to make Natural Building out of Adobe (Mud Brick making), Laying and Plastering CEB’s (Compressed Earth Blocks with Super Adobe PIPSA) and Poured In Place with Super Adobe SAEB (Super Adobe / Earth Bag Dome Building). Please Note: At Rak Tamachat, we are not looking for students to be workers to build out our facilities, we are already a fully built out Education Institute. We teach Natural Building to show the techniques you need to build your house, not to use you as labor! Permaculture practices design techniques which allow for the focused study of the area and environment surrounding a building. We are looking for ways to design a “system” that not only further supports the inhabitants of these beautiful and functional structures, but also cares for the total environment. What could be better than surrounding yourself with beauty while living in a Natural Building? Through Permaculture design we will also discover how we can extract food, fiber, fuel, beauty, and community from the very same elements that create our Natural Buildings; it is by bringing it all together and working with the interconnected systems that we will be able to create the sustainable environment we are all searching for. Permaculture has the answers, and we hope we will be able to share and teach with you. A natural building involves a range of building systems and materials that place major emphasis on sustainability. Ways of achieving sustainability through natural building focus on durability and the use of minimally processed, plentiful or renewable resources, as well as those that, while recycled or salvaged, produce healthy living environments and maintain indoor air quality. Natural building tends to rely on human labor, more than technology. As Michael G. Smith observes, it depends on “local ecology, geology, and climate; on the character of the particular building site, and on the needs and personalities of the builders and users.” The basis of natural building is the need to lessen the environmental impact of buildings and other supporting systems, without sacrificing comfort, health or aesthetics. To be more sustainable, Natural Building uses primarily abundantly available, renewable, reused or recycled materials. The use of rapidly renewable materials is increasingly a focus. In addition to relying on Natural Building materials, the emphasis on the architectural design is heightened. The orientation of a building, the utilization of local climate and site conditions, and the emphasis on natural ventilation through design fundamentally lessen operational costs and positively impact the environment. Building compactly and minimizing the ecological footprint is common in Natural Building, as are the on-site handling of energy acquisition, on-site water capture, alternate sewage treatment, and water reuse. Come learn all about Natural Building with Rak Tamachat by following the link below: Learn More here
Online Permaculture Design Course
Rak Tamachat Permaculture Education & Research Institute and the Sustainable Agriculture Institute (SAI) have formed a partnership to bring the Rak Tamachat Permaculture Design Course and Natural Building Design Course to the online education forum. We believe that the world is ever changing and that, by following the twelfth Permaculture Design Principle of “Creatively Respond to Change“, we are working with the appropriate technologies of media and the internet to allow a larger audience the opportunity to hear the message of Sustainability through the Permaculture Education Curriculum. We have given freely the first two modules / chapters of the Permaculture Design Course curriculum (Introduction to Permaculture and Concepts and Themes in Permaculture Design) to be shared for free in the “Free Online Permaculture Design Course Introduction“. We feel that there are many people in the world that do not have the financial means to come to one of our onsite PDCs, but are nonetheless in need of the Permaculture Message. By putting out the Introduction to Permaculture and Permaculture Design for free we will be allowing people to both make a better-informed decision about their course and also allow persons without the means to take a full onsite course the opportunity to learn about Permaculture. Permaculture is about the message of Sustainability, and the Free Permaculture Design Course Introduction gives just the right amount of information about Permaculture to allow for a person to make the decision to take an onsite or Online Permaculture Design Certification Course. If you would like to take the Free Online Introduction PDC, then you can SIGN UP HERE!
Online Permaculture Design Course
Rak Tamachat Permaculture Reseach Institute and the Sustainable Agriculture Institute (SAI) are proud to be able to offer the Rak Tamachat Free Introduction to the Online Permaculture Design Course (oPDC). The Free Introduction Online PDC was filmed and produced at the Rak Tamachat Education and Research Institute. The course is facilitated on SAI’s Learning Management System to bring the onsite course experience to the online education forum. This will allow more people the opportunity to learn about Permaculture and Sustainability without having to make a financial commitment. The Free Intro PDC consists of the first two modules/chapters of the full Permaculture Designer Certification Course, allowing interested students the opportunity to get their feet wet in Permaculture before making the decision to take an Onsite or Online Permaculture Design Course.
Permaculture Internship Asia - Continuous Improvement
Learn More about one of the Best Permaculture Internships Asia has on offer. The Rak Tamachat Permaculture Internship gives the budding Permaculturists the Environment and Tools they need to grow their Permaculture Design Experience.
Diploma of Permaculture - Sustainability Degree
Learn More about earning your Degree in Sustainability by completing your Diploma of Permaculture with Rak Tamachat. We united with the Sustainable Agriculture Institute to offer our onsite Permaculture Diploma Program as well as an online Permaculture Diploma Program.
Master's Degree in Permaculture Design, MsPD.
Learn More about earning your Master’s Degree in Permaculture Design of Sustainable Systems, MsPD., by completing your Permaculture Masters Research Thesis. We united with the Sustainable Agriculture Institute to offer our onsite Permaculture Masters Degree
Our Permaculture Mission
We feel our Intentional Permaculture Ecovillage Community name sums up our Thai Permaculture Communities Lifestyle in the simplest form for local Thais, Asians, and International students to understand.
We know that our actions are the result of our beliefs, choices and goals. We know that, to create the world and lifestyle we want, we will have to do something to make our dream a reality. Our actions are the manifestation of our choices. We choose our lifestyle and work to create our own destiny. The Integrated farming activities on the farm are the actions that we use to create our environment. We love to work to build new systems and maintain the ones we have, learn how they interact and how they can be improved. We never stop learning how the synergies play upon each other to always find a higher state of being. Like the synergies, we, as a community and through our actions together, bring our combined lives to a higher state of being than what we could achieve alone. You can explore below how we make our actions our reality.
At Rak Tamachat we believe that everyone – regardless of where they are from, their background, social standing, economic circumstances, education, etc. – have basic rights as humans. We understand that sometimes these people do not know or understand that they have basic rights, as the conditions they are in or were brought up under do not allow for them to believe they can have these. We do understand that everyone has these rights and, further, that it is our responsibility to speak up for or defend them. We feel that, at the most basic level, people have the right to prosper. They have the right to raise their family in peace and harmony. They have the right to live a healthy life free of war, famine, chemicals, slavery. The unequal distribution of resources is the real source of most people’s problems at the bottom of the economic pyramid. The inability for the poor to have access to land and resources, such as water and seeds to plant and grow their own food, forces them to become economic slaves to a system designed to create wants and desires, which makes them rats in a maze they do not know how to escape from. We feel that we have the obligation, as persons who have had the education and upbringing to understand the problems and the solutions, to show and teach the less fortunate how to break out of the cycle that is enslaving them to the corporate systems.
- We believe that everyone should have the right to economic freedom, to provide a basic life for themselves and their family;
- We believe that everyone has the right to food security;
- We believe that everyone should be allowed to have a place to grow food for themselves and their family;
- We believe that everyone has the right to be happy and that the environment to provide that happiness is a right;
- We believe that everyone has the right to raise their family in social harmony and peace without undue economic stress;
- We believe that everyone should be afforded the right to earn a living to provide for themselves and their family;
- We believe that every family should have a home without the burden of a mortgage;
- We believe that education is a right.
At Rak Tamachat, we know that the choices we make will drive our outcomes. We know that some of the things being told to us by the main stream are not right. We can feel that there needs to be some changes but don’t see the answers to these concerns being promoted by our governments, or large businesses. While we fully support the green movement in business to promote renewable resources and recycling, we also realize that the goals of making the most money severely hampers the effectiveness of these operations and slows the development of these much-needed industries. We know that we have the choice to wait and hope the “fats cats” can fix the problems they created, or we can choose to limit our consumption of their products, or in some cases stop using them altogether. We make choices every day at Rak Tamachat, by limiting our consumption and thus reducing the waste and destruction of nonrenewable resources, not allowing the use of chemicals in our gardens and thus working to break the chain of chemical agriculture. As westerners, we choose to live our lives closer to Nature, so that local Thais can see not all western people are what they are shown in the movies. We limit our lives to share with others; we choose a different path to show that the consumerism promoted through the media is not the only way.
- We choose to grow our own food without chemicals;
- We choose to use natural building in our habitats;
- We choose to build our habitat without mortgages;
- We choose to live together in community and foster social harmony with each other and Nature;
- We choose to corporate with Nature instead of fighting against it;
- We choose to share our knowledge and abundance with others;
- We limit the consumption of meats to only what we grow ourselves on our farm in a humane manner, assuring our animals full lives and a humane deaths;
- We choose to limit the consumption of scarce resources such as fuels by sharing our transport and appliances, living in a communal way;
- We choose to eat locally when buying vegetables or other food stuffs from outside Rak Tamachat;
- We choose to cook and share our meals together to reduce the waste from cooking;
- We choose to follow the Ethics and Principles of Permaculture.
Goals Articulation Statement Summary:
- The farm will be a thriving Natural Living Education Center full of activity, providing inspiration to locals and international visitors, while allowing the educators to share and expand their knowledge base.
The farm will provide a dynamic and abundant life for the local family, resident community, guests, interns, and students while providing a safe haven for learning and expanding one’s horizons.
- The farm will serve as a model of profitable Permaculture Design in action and Regenerative Agriculture, showcasing the power of Integrated Sustainable Farming Systems utilizing Holistic Management Techniques with diligent Animal Husbandry Practices.
- The activities on the farm will require less economic and fossil fuel inputs over time, as an outcome of the Integrated Sustainable Farming Systems following Permaculture Design Principles and Ethics, utilizing Regenerative Agriculture and Holistic Management Techniques with diligent Animal Husbandry Practices.
Goal 1: The farm will provide a dynamic and abundant life for the local family, resident community, guests, interns, and students while providing a safe haven for learning and expanding one’s horizons.
- The environment of the farm provides an ideal place to raise children, with a wide variety of stimulation and activities which help them have a strong physical and mental development and to stay healthy.
- The farm promotes respect for each generation and is home to meaningful activities for everyone, such that all participate in creating the abundance of the farm.
- There is an atmosphere of encouragement and engagement in the social and productive activities of the farm for all.
- Production from the farm and gardens provide the residents with a wide variety of delicious and healthy food, free of any chemical inputs.
- The Food Forests are perennially producing and have an ever-changing variety of fruits, nuts, fibers, fuel, and timber, while also providing habitat for many wild animals as well as our holistically raised chickens, goats, pigs and cows.
- The gardens have an overabundance of fresh food coming from them year round, providing a stable source of healthy food allowing for reduced stress from food insecurity.
- All of our meat and fish needs are supplied on-site through our holistically managed humane animal husbandry systems, while producing the fertilizers from their wastes to feed our gardens and thus ourselves.
- The aquaculture systems provide an abundance of fresh fish and an emergency supply of edible tubers, for the nourishment of the community, while also providing habitat and food sources for our integrated animal systems.
- The farm produces enough timber and bamboo for all the natural building needs of the community.
- The surplus produced on the farm earns us enough income to pay for the day-to-day needs of the residents and the upkeep of the farm in a subsistence manner.
Goal 2: The farm will be a thriving Natural Living Education Center full of activity, providing inspiration to locals and international visitors, while allowing the educators to share and expand their knowledge base.
- The farm hosts Natural Living Education Courses, to share our knowledge and systems with as many people as possible, running on a break-even cost structure based on providing a living wage for the resident teachers and offsetting the lost agricultural revenue to the farm for the area utilized by the center, throughout the year.
- The farm is a thriving community made up of the local family, farm staff, resident educators, guests, interns, and students.
- The farm allows for the many residents to participate in the rewards and abundance of their work.
- The farm is part of a larger worldwide movement, both here in Thailand and beyond, to promote sustainability through Permaculture Principles while demonstrating that a community of like-minded people can live in harmony with the land and each other, and prove that they can do so in an economically efficient manner.
- The farm’s systems continue everyday to evolve and become more efficient and interconnected with the local and world communities.
- The systems on the farm provide the residents with endless opportunities for creativity and invention, they joyfully and playfully utilize these opportunities to find new ways to increase efficiency, beauty and sustainability on the farm.
- The farm utilizes a Permaculture Master Plan – which is a living document, easily updated and revised – enabling the farm and its residents to adjust the plans to ever-changing natural conditions.
- The farm has a steady stream of passionate people, who bring ideas of their own and who take with them valuable experience and inspiration when they leave.
- The residents of the farm interact with the local community in a way that respectfully invites them to learn Permaculture Farming Techniques and ideas about successful permanent agricultural practices.
- The farm gives the residents the opportunity to feel thankful and to share our good fortune with the local community.
- The farm provides low-cost Natural Living courses to the local Thai community and international students from around the world.
- The farm and its actions help the people that live in our village, and throughout Thailand, to view us with respect and camaraderie.
- The residents of the farm work together to create social systems that promote individual growth and group strength.
Goal 3: The farm will serve as a model of profitable Permaculture Design in action and Regenerative Agriculture, showcasing the power of Integrated Sustainable Farming Systems utilizing Holistic Management Techniques with diligent Animal Husbandry Practices.
- The farm is able to reach break-even after five years on the invested capital for the Regenerative Agriculture and Permaculture Techniques utilized in its transition from a commercial corn and rice farm to an Integrated Sustainable Farm.
- The farm’s systems provide the world with another real example of Integrated Permaculture and Regenerative Agriculture systems utilizing Holistic Management and Animal Husbandry as being economically feasible.
- Through the implementation of an Integrated Permaculture Master Plan, the farm has reduced costs, improved quality, and connected with new markets.
- The Integrated Permaculture Master Plan helps guide the farm, allowing it to be well-managed and focused on the future. In the short term, medium term, and long term, the Integrated Permaculture systems implemented on the farm are practical and easily replicated by the local communities.
- The farm connects with the Worldwide Permaculture Community and shares what we have done and what we have learned through our website and movies.
- The farm experiments with different agricultural techniques utilizing proper scientific methods, and construct and builds them with a thorough understanding of the engineering behind the projects.
- The farm is a demonstration center of Permaculture Systems and Natural Building practices for the local and international communities, where people can come to see and learn how these systems work, and how they can implement them on their farms, promoting “Action Learning”.
Goal 4: The activities on the farm will require less economic and fossil fuel inputs over time, as an outcome of the Integrated Sustainable Farming Systems following Permaculture Design Principles and Ethics, utilizing Regenerative Agriculture and Holistic Management Techniques with diligent Animal Husbandry Practices.
- The farm will shift from energy intensive activities, like conventional tillage agriculture, to more progressive modes of passive production, like perennial crops and aquaculture.
- The farm will experiment with, and implement, different alternative energy systems. These systems include solar, wind, biogas and farm-made bio-fuels to work towards the goal of sending power back to the grid in order to offset our energy cost.
- The residents constantly refine and re-evaluate the farm’s techniques to become even more efficient and effective.
- By abiding with the Principles of Permaculture and Integrated Farming, the farm’s systems have become much more synergistic. This synergy helps to ensure the health and abundance of the farm and reduce waste, thus producing a larger overall return on each system.
- Every element of the farm is benefiting the system in multiple ways, the residents work to make the interactions as efficient as possible.
- The farm strives to mimic Nature in her diversity, stability, fertility and productivity.
- The “waste” from one element fits seamlessly into the needs of another. Throughout the farm, we are reducing waste and improving the health of the overall system.
Rak Tamachat is made up of a group of international people who have come together to work to change their lives and the lives of others by choosing to follow a different path than the one laid out by the consumer economic driven global economy. We currently have 12 residents living on the farm together full time and a constant stream of Guests, Interns and Students forming our larger community. We wish to live our lives in a more natural way, closer to nature and respecting life. We feel the Thai Culture is close to the way we see the optimal lifestyle revolving around raising our own food in peace. We strive every day to build the environment we need to keep our lives at a basic level by providing for our food, shelter, medicine and clothing. Once our base has been established, we can then work to help others to learn the techniques, ideas and practices we use to make our desired lifestyle possible. We know that, through our combined hard work, we can share in the bounty that Nature was designed to provide for its people. We take care of nature and rest assured that we will thus, in turn, be taken care of.
Rak Tamachat means “Love & Protect Nature” in Thai
Rak Tamachat Permaculture Farm, Education Center, Permaculture Project, and Intentional Community is located in Thailand, Asia, and is comprised of 75 acres; hosting guests and students year round. The large farm and daily operations give us the perfect classroom environment to educate others on how the transition from a monoculture to a sustainable “Permanent Agriculture” is done.
Our facilities have been designed based on Permaculture Design Principles and built with Natural Building Techniques to deal with our large Intentional Permaculture Community.
We would love to share our Permaculture lifestyle with you and hopefully help open your horizons to what is possible when people live and work together in harmony with guiding Permaculture Ethics and Principles and a Common Goal.
Every new Permaculturist tips the scale in favor of the Sustainability Movement: get on board, and join the future today!
- We practice Asian Permaculture on a broad scale, all the while striving to holistically integrate animal systems into our Thailand Permaculture Design.
- We have a Core Intentional Community of Thais, Asians, and Westerners living and working together on the Permaculture farm to make the transition from a mono-cultured rice and corn farm to an Integrated and Dynamic Thai Permaculture Farm.
- The transition from a destructive farming system to a holistic system is the basis for our Permaculture and Natural Building Education & Research Institute.
- We strive to educate anyone who comes to our Permaculture Farm, be it a student, guest, a day visitor, or a Thai member of our local village. We believe in the “PAY IT FORWARD” principle to make the changes we want to see in the world.
- We work to do this every day with our choices and actions.
- We like to think of this as “Our style of Asia Permaculture”, we value diversity and love to know that there are so many other successful prospering examples of Permaculture ranging over an infinite scale, from balcony gardens to thousand acres farms.
- We aim to spread Permaculture Intentional Ecovillage Communities, Communal Living, Learning, and Earning with local Thais who live off of Subsistence Farming.
- Some of our guests have referred to Rak as the world’s first “Permasort“, we still feel of it as our home and we are thankful for the hard work that has been put into Rak by the many loving hands which made it possible through Permaculture and Natural Building; their hard work has made Rak into the amazing place it is today!
- We showcase the power of Sustainability through the monthly Permaculture Courses and Natural Building Courses we host.
One of our esteemed Permaculture students shares her appreciation of her time at Rak Tamachat:
Our Permaculture Lifestyle
At the Rak Tamachat Intentional Permaculture Ecovillage Community, we like to grow our own food free of chemicals. We like to raise our animals humanely.
We look at our Permaculture animal systems in the same way we look at our Permaculture gardens. We get sustenance and yield from both and believe that there are cycles that connect the animals with the land.
These Permaculture cycles are connected and give us the organic fertilizers we need to make or garden prosper. We believe these Integrated Permaculture Systems allow us to close the loops and make our gardens as dynamic as possible.
One system’s waste fuels another and cycles keep repeating. Through observation, we are able to help them along and create more abundance.
Our Bees, butterfly, wasp, worms, and plants are our workers at Rak Tamachat, our life is spent facilitating our workers and waiting for the trees to grow, this affords us the free time to explore ourselves and the world.
We have an independent Nursery for giving our seedlings, juvenile plants, and young trees the head start that they deserve before planting in the gardens or across the Permaculture farm.
At the Nursery, we also make our special blend potting soil and practice Seed Saving of mainly Asia acclimatized seeds. Seeds are life and without life we are nothing, our mission starts with Seed Saving!
Our mission with Seed Saving is to preserve the Rich Asian heritage through the saving and free distribution of seeds throughout Asia.
We feel a true part of Permaculture Asia! Our Thailand Permaculture Projects demonstrate our commitment to Permaculture Thailand!
Check out the Tabs below for more Depth
We like to create and eat delicious meals from the fruits of our labor with our friends and family. We like to make natural food products for our enjoyment, economic saving and, honestly, we think they are better naturally. Some of the products we make include homemade wines, kimchi, kombucha, pickles, jellies, cheese, tofu, dehydrated snacks, long-term sauces and dressings, and smoothies made from the fruits of the farm with love on our bicycle blender. Our lifestyle values diversity and personal choices, and our kitchen reflects this. We have Raw-food, vegetarians, vegans and gluten-intolerant guests all the time; thus we strive to accommodate food sensitivities. However, you should inform us about your dietary needs and we may advise that you bring specialty snacks, as we live far away from any major cities and we may not have access to certain food items. Keeping snacks in the tropics is very hard, therefore flexibility and open-mindedness is highly advised. All efforts are made to get locally grown chemical-free foods. We always have lots of fresh fruits and vegetables on hand, so going hungry is never an issue. Trying to find different ways to cook or preserve bountiful harvest is our major issue. But, this is the fun of growing food, experimenting in the kitchen is some of the best times we have and we all enjoy the beautiful Rak Tamachat kitchen immensely.
Once you make the lifestyle you want a reality, you free up your time for the things that really matter: relaxing with your friends, sharing good food, discussing life while you wait for the trees to grow!!!! We enjoy spending our time:
- Having Pizza parties in our Adobe Oven
- Making Natural Products
- Seed Saving
- Playing Cards and games together
- Playing a relaxing game of pool
- Swimming in the Pond
- Bar-b-que’s (Both Thai and Western Styles)
- Day Trips to local attractions
- Reading in the Library
- Watching movies for education and entertainment
- Practicing Yoga
- Practicing Meditation
- Going for runs around the rice fields and local villages
- Biking around the local villages
- Playing drums and music together
- Relaxing in a hammock
- Just discussing life, while we wait for our seed to grow
Natural Homemade Products
We really like to make soaps, mosquito repellents, organic fertilizers and pesticides. These products allow us to both save money and the plant at the same time. If you would like to learn any of these skills, read further to see if our lifestyle is a good fit for your personal motivations.
Fair Share and Equality
We believe and practice many Permaculture Principles associated with communal living, such as communal cooking, communal gardening times, communal cleaning of common areas, but especially Fair Share and Equal Value. Put simply, Equal Value means that we value everyone’s work equally. On any given day at Rak Tamachat, you may find instructors teaching in the classroom, people working in the garden, community members creating delicious meals in the kitchen, students constructing natural buildings, managers or interns conducting email correspondence, or Thai members of our farm community involved in daily farm and family tasks. In all honesty, we learn about gardening, building, and farm lifestyle from our Thai family members just as much as we would by practicing solely on theory learned from books or trial and error. When we have questions about how or if something will grow under certain soil and climate conditions, we always seek out our Thai brothers and sisters for advice.
Our Intentional Permaculture Ecovillage Community Lifestyle is actually quite simple! We don’t believe life needs to be complicated. Our typical day involves communally working in the gardens in the morning, communally cooking the harvest at meal times, and relaxing after a rewarding day’s work.
At the Rak Tamachat Permaculture Intentional Ecovillage Community, we work every day to make the Permaculture Lifestyle we want a reality. Yes, you can live in Natural Buildings surrounded by gardens, not eat chemicals, grow your own food, work with your friends, and share meals and entertainment with them without ever leaving your home or, more importantly, spending huge amounts of money. We wake up every morning fresh with the hunger to do our work for our daily bread – or in our case fruits and vegetables, though we still love baking bread in our pizza oven.
We enjoy many things and – as a varied group of International Permaculturists, Asian Permaculturists, and local Thais – we have the blessing of learning new things from everyone who walks through our door. We love to explore the many flavors and ways cooking can enrich our lives. We like to say “you can save it, plant it, grow it, harvest it, cook it, eat it, ferment it, and make fertilizer (the cycle of life)”. We understand this simple principle and structure our lives around it; it governs most of what we do.
Our Thailand Permaculture Projects range from saving seeds, making gardens, cooking our meals, sharing them, and finally returning the nutrients to the garden through our Worm Composting and Reed Bed toilets. We have truly found the secret of life, the one that the corporations don’t want you to know: you can do it yourself! But we have found that working alone is very hard, and working with an Intentional Permaculture Ecovillage Community is a much better way to make the work fun; we like to think that work is play. If it is not fun, then we are doing something wrong. With this principle guiding our lives, it truly makes for a wonderful and rewarding existence.
- We enjoy sharing our meals communally with our family and friends;
- We enjoy kicking back together after a fulfilling day’s work;
- We enjoy the sense of accomplishment we feel after a successful day’s work with our friends;
- We enjoy sharing the joys of work on a common goal with our friends, which will enrich our community;
- We enjoy sharing our lives with others;
- We enjoy sharing our knowledge and learning from others.
Seeds of Tropical Permaculture – Documentary at Rak Tamachat
This documentary showcases the development of Permaculture Asia, and especially Permaculture Thailand. You can explore the Rak Tamachat Permaculture Project and Intentional Community Development. The Permaculture Documentary shows the First Permaculture Course at Rak Tamachat in 2012. Come to see in person how far we have progressed with Permaculture Design and Natural Building!
Our Permaculture Intentional Ecovillage Community Home
You have to Love the Traditional Teak Bungalows at Rak Tamachat!
Your Private Teak Bungalow
Your stay during the course will be an amazing time, you will not only learn from top-notch Permaculture Teachers but also have the added benefit of living in what some people have called a “Permasort“; Natural Building with lots of love is what makes it all possible! Tropical Permaculture Asia is amazing! Intentional Ecovillage Communal Living can show how to make the world a better Place! Thailand Permaculture Projects are changing the world!
The Natural Building Toilets & Showers
One of our Best Thai Permaculture Projects, our Natural Toilets, allows you to clean up in style. When you are learning by getting your hands dirty, there is nothing better than taking a shower in one of our “Thai Style” Open Air showers and Natural Toilets. Getting back to Nature and reconnecting with the elements is what Life is all about. Permaculture Asian Style!
Our Permaculture Intentional Ecovillage Community Communal Sala
Our Largest Thailand Permaculture Project with Natural Building! We love to live in a Permaculture Intentional Ecovillage Community at Rak Tamachat, and we have the blessing of having an amazing Sala (Thai for communal space) to relax in when we are not in the Permaculture Gardens, Food Forest, or learning more about Sustainable Permaculture and Natural Building.
Our Ecovillage Community Kitchen
Well, if you think the facilities are great – which they are – there is nothing like eating amazing Thai food made with Love by Khun Lin, Beau’s better half. She loves growing nutritious food in our gardens and teaching others the joys and art of Thai Cooking. Learning Thai cooking with Lin is like getting a second course for FREE!!! Asian and Thai Food make learning a true blessing. Permaculture Asia is Amazing!
The Permaculture Courses Classroom
Another World Class Thailand Permaculture Project that showcases Natural Building. Permaculture is all about good Design, and Beau may have gone too far with the Amazing Permaculture Courses Lecture Hall. The Permaculture Courses Lecture Classroom is so nice you won’t believe you are in school! All schools should wish to be as nice and conformable as Rak. You will find learning in Thai Style is not hard at all!
Permaculture Thailand Sufficiency Economy Theory
Our Intentional Permaculture Ecovillage Community follows both Permaculture Principles & Ethics and the King’s Sufficiency Economy Theory:
King of Thailand’s “Sufficiency Economy Theory”
Thai Permaculture Places of Interest Near Rak Tamachat Permaculture Research Institute
Thailand Royal Projects
- Bangkok Permaculture Thailand
- Ayutthaya Permaculture Thailand
- Kanchanaburi Permaculture Thailand
- Prachuap – Hua Hin, Cha-am Permaculture Thailand
- Rayong Permaculture Thailand
- Lopburi Permaculture Thailand
Thailand Royal Projects
- Nakhon Ratchasima Permaculture Thailand
- Chaiyaphum Permaculture Thailand
- Khon Kaen Permaculture Thailand
- Sakon Nakhon Permaculture Thailand
- Udon Thani Permaculture Thailand
- Nong Khai Permaculture Thailand
Thailand Royal Projects
- Phang Nga – Phuket, Krabi Permaculture Thailand
- Hat Yai Permaculture Thailand
- Songkhla Permaculture Thailand
- Trang Permaculture Thailand
- Surat Thani Permaculture Thailand
- Nakhon Si Thammarat Permaculture Thailand
- Ranong Permaculture Thailand
- Chumphon Permaculture Thailand
Thailand Royal Projects
- Sukhothai Permaculture Thailand
- Chang Mai Permaculture Thailand
- Pai Permaculture Thailand
- Chang Rai Permaculture Thailand
- Mae Hong Son Permaculture Thailand
- Nan Permaculture Thailand